Discussion: Interstate 80

Interstate 80's Terminus in Teaneck

Interstate 80 is one of the longest interstate freeway's. Connecting Teaneck, New Jersey with San Francisco, California, it is one of the original Interstate routes, and a major thoroughfare for much of the country. 

In the recent months, and years, I have, along with several others, pondered extending the designation, though the question of whether or not it needs extending, is the subject of this article. Before I give my answer, I would like to examine a number of proposals that I think could work for this proposal

Proposal One: Extension to New England

The First Proposal I thought about is one I've been tinkering on and off with, though I've mostly given up on the overall concept due to the logistics, I have nevertheless decided to present it

Interstate 80 would be built as a bored tunnel segment through Englewood and Teaneck connecting with a Bridge near Alpine, before entering another bored tunnel connecting with the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers.

One last tunnel would then be constructed to connect with I-95 in New Rochelle before following I-95 to Bridgeport, where it would split with CT 8 to its terminus in Torrington.

Following CT 8 would not only give it an Interstate designation, but also give I-80 an ending that isn't in conjunction with another interstate. It also would be a upgrade in a numerical sense, from 8 to 80. 

Proposal Two: Long Island Expressway 

The Second Proposal involves extending I-80 to Riverhead. I-80 would follow I-95 and super seed I-295, before replacing I-495. 

The Clearview Expressway South of Exit 4 would become I-180, whereas the Long Island Expressway West of the Clearview, would become I-380.

Scenario B would involve it ending at NY 25A, where the Clearview Ends.

Should It Be Done ?

While extending I-80 would be something that seems ideal, It doesn't make any sense to actually do this. There's no question the New York Interstate system is fundamentally flawed, but there are other ways to mitigate this situation, and extending I-80, doesn't do this.

The Extensions of I-87 and I-78 that I proposed, are different circumstances. The Former being to connect to its Southern Counterpart, and the later, to finish an incomplete highway that ends prematurely. I-80 doesn't do that, it was never intended to go past Teaneck, though there were other alignments discussed.

In reality, the only ideal scenario involving I-80 extension would have been if the Mid-Manhattan Expressway was constructed. either routing along I-280 and down the Turnpike, or an upgraded Route 3, which would have linked up with the then Interstate 495. Regardless, Extending I-80 doesn't feel necessary, and doing so, would not make a difference, whatsoever.

Comments

Popular Posts