Extending I-87: Connecting Montreal and Raleigh



THIS IS AN OVERVIEW, WHICH EXPLORES AND DISCUSSES PERSONAL PROPOSALS FOR HIGHWAYS AND/OR CROSSINGS.


In April of 2016, I recommended that Interstate 278 designation be discontinued and replaced with an Extended Interstate 87. Strangely enough, a month later, North Carolina announced an Interstate 87 of its own, not connected with the New York I-87 that would connect the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel with Raleigh. Since then, I have been forced to re-evaluate my Interstate 87 extension proposal, even scrapping my US 1 Freeway Proposal. So, without further a do, here is the Interstate 87 Proposal.

PART ONE: NEW YORK, REPLACING I-278, UPGRADES, OTHER DESIGNATIONS

Major Deegan Expressway Near I-87's Current Terminus in the Bronx (via Google Maps)
I-278 would be done away with, and I-87 would be extended in its place. With this, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, Gowanus Expressway, and Staten Island Expressway would have to undergo upgrades, some of which have already been discussed.

I have made a preliminary layout of some re-designations, but these are subject to change. These Re-designations assume two things

1. The Sheridan Expressway is being Decommissioned
2. Sunrise Highway will not be upgraded

Interstate 278 South of the Triborough will be re-designated as Interstate 87
Interstate 478 will be re-designated as Interstate 487
Interstate 678 will be re-designated as Interstate 695
Interstate 278 North of the Triborough will be re-designated as Interstate 895
The Current Interstate 695 will be re-designated as Interstate 195

Also, to note, NJ 440/NY 440 should be re-designated as Interstate 287 from the Turnpike to the terminus of the Outerbridge Crossing. Also, the West Shore Expressway should be re-designated as Interstate 187. This designation would start where I-287 terminates. NY 440 and NJ 440 would remain in place for the MLK Expressway and Bayonne Bridge.

PART TWO: NEW JERSEY TO DELAWARE, TURNPIKE UPGRADES, NEW JERSEY AUXILLARY ROUTES
New Jersey Turnpike Near Exit 4 in Mount Laurel (via Google Maps)

Crossing into New Jersey, Interstate 87 would follow the Turnpike down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge (currently I-295).

When I-95 departs, I-87 would cover the currently undesignated sections of the turnpike. The Intersections and over and underpasses would need to be upgraded and the road brought up to Interstate standards. Also, an intersection should be built with the Atlantic City Expressway, allowing direct connection with the Turnpike and provide another exit for travelers going to Atlantic City.

PART THREE: DELMARVA

The Delaware Memorial Bridge would be designated as both I-295 and I-87. But that's for another time. Part III: Delaware and Maryland, Delaware Route One, Upgrading Highways
Interstate 87 would follow Delaware Route 1 from Christinia to Milford. From Here, there are two possible paths.

Scenario One: US 13 

 I-87 would follow ROW near US 13, befor eit would split before proceeding south to meet with US 13. Using the Salisbury Bypass, it would eventually follow US 13 utilizing both ROW and the main road itself. Portions of the Road would need to be reconstructed with elevated segments, particularly in areas where the road passes through stores, as well as houses.

Scenario Two: US 113 

Interstate 87 would remain on DE 1 until it reaches US 113 where it would follow the route. US 113, especially in Maryland, is more suited for conversion than US 13, as it is undeveloped. US 113 is what I had envisioned being the route upgraded when I first wrote this, but found US 13 to be more in line with what is being recommended

In Maryland, All intersections would become interchanges and overpasses would need to be constructed.

Regardless of what route it would take, the route would need to be built using ROW from Pocomoke City to Cape Charles, Virginia before heading down towards the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, which it would follow.

PART IV: LINKING WITH THE PROPOSED INTERSTATE 87, CHESAPEAKE BAY BRIDGE-TUNNEL

 The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (I-87, US 13)

cbbt28_012202
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (via Business Insider)
The Interstate Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel would have to undergo some upgrades. The Virginia DOT has already announced its intention to build a second tube, which will help alleviate current traffic. The Spans which carry the Bridge Portions may need to be replaced or upgraded The Northampton Boulevard between I-64 and the Bridge is where I-87 would run along. Areas close to development would be elevated. Sections of the Roadway may need to be rebuilt to better accommodate traffic

I-87 would either have to follow I-64, or I-264 and replace I-464 before connecting with US 17 to continue down to Raleigh









Comments

Popular Posts