Filling in the Gap: Three Proposals to Solve the Interstate Gap on the New Jersey Turnpike South of Exit 6

Northbound New Jersey Turnpike at Exit 4 in Mount Laurel 

Since it was first built, the Southern Half of the New Jersey Turnpike has been without an interstate designation. I-95 leaves the Turnpike before crossing into Pennsylvania (until sometime before 2000, it had gone to Exit 10). I have come up with three scenarios involving existing Interstate designations that can help solve the issue

Interstate 195
Interstate 195 is currently one of the most important highways in Central Jersey, stretching 34 miles from Wall Township to I-295 in Hamilton, New Jersey. This scenario would involve I-195 either, being extended by following I-276 and heading southward, or to have it enter from Exit 6 (7A on the Turnpike) and have the remainder of the road re-designated as something else.

I-195 makes some sense, as it terminates near the I-276 intersection and would create an easy to know numbering (195 for the Turnpike, 295 for South Jersey Expressway). 195 would not cross the Delaware Bridge, but would end right before it as it would cross-over onto I-295.

One issue with this is the fact the I-195 predominately runs as an East-West highway and having it go South, could be a little to extreme. I-195 could be extended to Trenton, however, following NJ 29 and having the interchange of NJ 129 as Exit 1C. This, plus an Eastward extension, could create a roadway connecting Trenton with the Jersey Shore.

Interstate 495
This one is a more interesting scenario. When I first played around with Interstate redesignations, I had thought of extending I-495 from the Midtown Tunnel, to the Lincoln Tunnel and ultimately down the Turnpike.

This scenario seemed ideal when I suggested it, but I've since decided that it makes no sense. having I-495 run farther than it already is creates more issues, and even with the Obvious reason aside, there is no need for it. Also of note is that the Lincoln Tunnel Approach is not up to Interstate standards and it is impossible for it to be done without risking eminent domain. 495 is disqualified

Interstate 87
Earlier this year, I wrote an article calling for I-87 to be extended to New Jersey. Since then, I have kept playing around with this idea, nearly dumping it along the way. In May, it was first reported that North Carolina would be designating one of its new routes as I-87, which changed everything I had planned to write.

Extending I-87 would serve, symbolically, as an alternative to I-95 and would open the door to new auxiliary routes throughout the northeast, that don't need to connect to I-95, I-76, or any other existing Interstate highway.

At the same time however, the question now comes as to whether or not we need to extend I-87. The I-278 designation seems to work fine for many and changing it could require a lot more than just one route being re-numbered. Prehaps it would be better,  if it ended in the Bronx, and perhaps, there really is no reason or need to extend I-87, or to even use the number in North Carolina.

Verdict
Out of the three, I-87 seems to be the best suggestion. The Reason, its potential. I-87 right now terminates prior to the Triborough Bridge and with North Carolina building an I-87 of its own, the best case scenario would be to link the two routes together, and this could make it all possible.

I will be writing more on I-87 over the course of the year and present my final proposal to extend it, as well as discussing whether or not it is needed. Until then, check here for more highway posts.

Comments

Popular Posts